Marilyn Jager Adams, Ph.D., Barbara R. Foorman, Ph.D., M.A.T, Ingvar Lundberg, Ph.D., Terri Beeler, Ed.D.
- One of the most popular programs available — more than 250,000 copies sold
- Easy and fun activities that take only 15-20 minutes a day
- Includes a flexible assessment test that allows group screening
- Meets new federal requirements for scientifically based reading research
- Developed by leading experts in reading instruction
Phonemic Awareness in Young Children complements any prereading program. From simple listening games to more advanced exercises in rhyming, alliteration, and segmentation, this best-selling curriculum helps boost young learners’ preliteracy skills in just 15-20 minutes a day. Specifically targeting phonemic awareness — now known to be an important step to a child’s early reading acquisition — this research-based program helps young children learn to distinguish individual sounds that make up words and affect their meanings.
With a developmental sequence of activities that follows a school year calendar, teachers can choose from a range of activities for their preschool, kindergarten, and first-grade classrooms. Plus, the curriculum includes an easy-to-use assessment test for screening up to 15 children at a time. This assessment not only helps to objectively estimate the general skill level of the class and identify children who may need additional testing but may also be repeated every 1-2 months to monitor progress. All children benefit because the curriculum accommodates individualized learning and teaching styles.
Here is everything a teacher needs:
- Teaching objectives
- Lesson plans and sample scripts
- Activity adaptations
- Troubleshooting guidelines
- Suggested kindergarten and first-grade schedules
- Informal, group screening